If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love watching Thanksgiving specials. Maybe because I am British so I am obsessed with the unknown but mostly I love festiviies and FOOD! After watching an episode of Parenthood they mentoned a rum rasin pie. What is this I thought. I asked around on a couple of forums and was told it was a version of apple pie. Apple pie is not my favourite but one kind forum member suggested that I could add rum and raisins to anything. So I thought I would adapt my baked custard recipe. —nicolettelafonseca
Makes one pie
- 2.5 ounces Juicy Raisins
- 700 milliliters Double Cream
- 4 Large Free Range Eggs
- 80 milliliters Dark Rum
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- pinches Salt
- 5 ounces Golden Granulated Sugar
- Shortcrust Pastry
- Soak the raisins in the rum overnight.
- Line a 9inch pie dish with your pastry, prick the bottom, cover with baking parchment and dried beans and bake blind for 10 mins @ 190C.
- Arrange the soaked raisins in the bottom of the pastry shell. Drain the leftover rum into a cup to add to the custard later.
- Whisk the eggs, sugar, salt & vanilla extract together.
- Heat the cream slowly stirring constantly until just below boiling point and remove from the heat.
- Whisk the egg mixture and the cream together after tempering the eggs. You need to temper eggs so that you dont get scarmbled eggs. Temering brings the temperature up gradually. Add the hot cream to the mixture one spoon at a time.
- Return the mixture to the heat and heat slowly whilst stirring constantly until the mixture becomes a thick custard. Stir in the 2tbsp of dark rum and pour over the raisins.
- Bake at 150C until set, this is when the custard jiggles. Leave to cool and serve cold.
More Great Recipes: Pies & Tarts
Keep It Bubbly
Stretch the sparkle in your sparkling wine
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
This queso is nuts.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
How to keep shelves tidy.
Get your shine on.