If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I firmly believe that sick boyfriends need spicy Thai soup in order to feel better (and complain less). I mean, NyQuil usually does the trick too, but it certainly doesn't fill you up and make you happy quite like this pescatarian-friendly, delicious soup. it's perfect for sick people and/or cold nights in front of a fire.
The original recipe called for Thai ingredients that I didn't have access to, so I modified things accordingly.
Adapted from Eat, Live, Run: http://www.eatliverun.com/fire-pot-soup/ - Shea
- 1/4 pound dry rice noodles
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 3 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 14-oz can light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 handful basil leaves, torn
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 1 serrano pepper, pierced with a knife in several places
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Soak the rice noodles in cold water according to the package instructions (typically about one hour prior to cooking).
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy saucepan or high-walled skillet over medium-high heat and cook the shrimp until just pink. Remove shrimp and set aside.
- Add the curry paste to the remaining olive oil and whisk to combine for 1-2 minutes. Slowly add the vegetable stock and coconut milk, whisking constantly.
- Add the fish sauce, brown sugar, basil, lemongrass and serrano pepper. Let simmer for five minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the rice noodles and let simmer for another 5 minutes. Four minutes in, add the shrimp.
- Remove the lemongrass and serrano pepper. Serve with chopped cilantro, if desired.
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.