Author Notes: This quick fruit recipe is perfect for a chilly morning. The vanilla bean elevates the fruit, while the banana lends some creaminess. It also makes a good afternoon snack, or a light dessert. Delicious on its own, the addition of yogurt, nuts, and coconut does make for a rounder start to the day. It is also really easy to pack this to go. - cristinasciarra
- 2 apples
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups Greek yogurt (optional)
- 1/4 cup crushed Marcona almonds (optional)
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (optional)
- Peel, core, and chop the apples. Partially mash the bananas. Stir both together inside a Dutch oven. Split and scrape the vanilla bean, and then add both the seeds and the pod to the Dutch oven, along with the water; stir everything together.
- Turn the range to medium heat and cook for 10 minutes, covered. Serve the fruit warm, alone, or with yogurt, crushed Marcona almonds, and shredded coconut.