Author Notes: Classic white chicken chili goes bolder and brighter with the citrus and garlic flavors of traditional mojo sauce - and all in time for a weeknight dinner! (Oh, and it's pretty good for you, too.) - thursdaynightsmackdown
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into 1-inch cubes
- 15 ounces can of great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 15 ounces can of corn, rinsed and drained
- 8 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 serrano chiles, seeded and minced
- 1/2 small can of green chiles
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 2 teaspoons commercially prepared adobo seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 1-2 pinch salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- cotija cheese
- chopped cilantro
- lime wedges
- sliced avocado
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and serrano and saute for 5 minutes; add 6 of the garlic cloves and cook 30 seconds more. Stir in the cumin.
- Dump in the beans, corn, Mexican oregano, chicken stock, OJ, green chiles, adobo and cayenne. Bring to a simmer. Cook 8-10 minutes to meld the flavors.
- Go at it with a potato masher to mash up some of the beans and give body to the chili (depending on how thick you like your chili).
- Toss in the chicken cubes and poach them in the chili until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining 2 cloves of garlic for SUPER GARLIC PUNCH.
- Taste and adjust salt level, if necessary.
- Serve with toppings, allowing people to doctor their chili as they wish.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili