Author Notes: A spicy, full-bodied chili that features 3 stars; peppers, beans, and beef (or turkey). This has been a staple in my household for years. Get creative with what's on hand from spices, to beans to meat. - acfein
Makes one pot
- 2 tablespoons Ancho Chili Powder
- 3 tablespoons Cumin (ground)
- 1 teaspoon Coriander (ground)
- 1 teaspoon Oregano (dried)
- 2 pinches Adobo seasoning (all natural)
- 1 shot hot sauce (preferably Cholula)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 choose your combo: serrano, anaheim, poblano or jalepeno pepper (use some seeds for heat) finely chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef (at least 85%) or can substitute ground turkey breast
- 2 cans dark red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes (no sugar added)
- 1 15 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- pinches garnsihes; hot sauce, cilantro, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, tortilla chips
- Brown meat over medium-high heat in a heavy stock pot or enameled cast-iron Dutch oven. Salt a little while cooking. Drain excess fast except 1 tablespoon.
- Add onion, peppers, garlic and a sprinkling of salt and cook until all vegetables are tender.
- Mix spices in a small bowl and shake 2/3 of it over the meat/vegetable mixture, stir and cook for a minute
- Add tomatoes, stir and bring to a slight boil then medium-low simmer.
- Taste after 15 minutes of simmering and add the rest of the spices and hot sauce (about 12 shakes)
- Simmer down now for about 10-15 minutes more and stir in rinsed and drained beans, stir and simmer till beans are warmed through
- TASTE. You'll find that the beans have zapped some of the flavor, so you may need to add more spice (especially cumin) to your liking. Add juice of 1 lime and simmer 10 more minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with a few dashes of hot sauce, sharp cheddar cheese, cilantro, and/or crushed corn tortillas. Enjoy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili