If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A spicy, full-bodied chili that features 3 stars; peppers, beans, and beef (or turkey). This has been a staple in my household for years. Get creative with what's on hand from spices, to beans to meat. - acfein
Makes one pot
- 2 tablespoons Ancho Chili Powder
- 3 tablespoons Cumin (ground)
- 1 teaspoon Coriander (ground)
- 1 teaspoon Oregano (dried)
- 2 pinches Adobo seasoning (all natural)
- 1 shot hot sauce (preferably Cholula)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 red peppers, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 choose your combo: serrano, anaheim, poblano or jalepeno pepper (use some seeds for heat) finely chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef (at least 85%) or can substitute ground turkey breast
- 2 cans dark red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo
- 1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes (no sugar added)
- 1 15 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- pinches garnsihes; hot sauce, cilantro, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, tortilla chips
- Brown meat over medium-high heat in a heavy stock pot or enameled cast-iron Dutch oven. Salt a little while cooking. Drain excess fast except 1 tablespoon.
- Add onion, peppers, garlic and a sprinkling of salt and cook until all vegetables are tender.
- Mix spices in a small bowl and shake 2/3 of it over the meat/vegetable mixture, stir and cook for a minute
- Add tomatoes, stir and bring to a slight boil then medium-low simmer.
- Taste after 15 minutes of simmering and add the rest of the spices and hot sauce (about 12 shakes)
- Simmer down now for about 10-15 minutes more and stir in rinsed and drained beans, stir and simmer till beans are warmed through
- TASTE. You'll find that the beans have zapped some of the flavor, so you may need to add more spice (especially cumin) to your liking. Add juice of 1 lime and simmer 10 more minutes.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with a few dashes of hot sauce, sharp cheddar cheese, cilantro, and/or crushed corn tortillas. Enjoy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili
Egyptian Street Food at Home
Spend quality time with The Cairo Kitchen.
The Cairo Kitchen
Boost your Bagel
Fire up the grill.
Dipped Walnut Tongs
Portable picnic snacks.