If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love chilli. I was given this recipe from a friend of mine and I tweaked it a little bit to bring heat to the soup and draw out a stark contrast between heat and the beer.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 onions - diced
- 1.5 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons red chilli powder
- 4 tomatoes - blanched, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1 cup dark beer - i used extra dark guiness but any dark beer will do
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 15 ounces (1 can) red kidney beans - drained
- 4 ounces cheese - for garnish
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if desired, and totally optional)
- Heat olive oil in large pot. Add garlic and onions to cook over medium to high heat for about five minutes or until onion is tender.
- Add beef and cook for seven to eight minutes longer, break the ground beef apart. Stir frequently until the beef is well browned.
- Season with salt and pepper. Then add in the chilli powder and stir. Let it simmer for two minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, beef stock, beer, vinegar, cumin, oregano, and parsley together to stir well. Let sit over low to medium heat and cook for 45 minutes.
- Add the beans and cook for 15 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, ladle into serving bowls and sprinkle the shredded cheese on top.
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
That was a close shave.