If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This chili recipe is one that is dear to my heart. It has been a family favorite for years and is one of my go-to recipes. If you crave a little more spice to chili, add cayenne to taste. Also, before cooking the chili, measure out all the spices. This will lead to less chaos when the pork is added to the hot pan and the spices are needed quickly. - A Pleasant Little Kitchen
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 strips of bacon, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 large green bell pepper (or two small), diced
- 1 1 serrano pepper (or jalapeno), seeded and diced
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 4 tablespoons cumin
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cans of black beans, drained
- 2 cups frozen or fresh corn
- splash of red wine vinegar
- Place the oil, onions and bacon into a large pan and cook over medium heat until the onions are softened, about 10 minutes.
- Next, add the bell pepper and serrano and cook until peppers are softened, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Once the vegetables are softened, increase the heat to medium-high and add the pork, salt, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder and optional cayenne. Stir well to incorporate the spices into the meat. Once the spices are fully incorporated and the meat is broken up sufficiently, let it cook for about 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour the crushed tomatoes and the beef broth into the meat mixture and stir well. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Let it cook for at least 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- After simmering for one hour, add the beans and the corn to the chili. Stir well and heat through for another 10 minutes.
- Top with sliced avocado, cheese, sour cream, cilantro and lime juice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chili
Express your gratitude for sunshine.
Good day, sunshine.
The sun is out: Are you?
It's Snack Time
Gifts for Mother's Day
12 Recipes for a Stress-Free Week of Cooking