Author Notes: The essence of a really great comfort food is simplicity for me. It does not necessarily have to be unhealthy, but it really has to aid that really depressive state we get either after a hard day of work, or waking up to a torrential downpour. My comfort food would ultimately start with two slices of toast. It really is magical because of it’s diversity to be whatever you want it to be a massive cheese toasty or the ultimate sugar fest of peanut butter and nutella. (Being gluten-free I can’t thank the brand Genius enough in the U.K, for releasing convenience –edible- bread) But sometimes it’s about the ingredient, and sweet potato does hit the comfort food nail on the head. - Krechiewow
- 1 Sweet potato (Yam)
- 1/2 Lemon
- 1 bunch Cabbage greens
- A hefty glug Olive Oil
- 3 Cloves of Garlic
- Large handfuls Pre cooked Chickpeas
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat your oven to 230c
- Peel and cut your sweet potato into cubes and place into a well olive oiled roasting tray; you will use the oil later for your salad dressing.
- Pop in two cloves of garlic whole. Season well with salt and a tad of pepper; I tend to season it with pepper at the end to avoid bits burning and what not.
- Pop the tray in the oven for about 20-30 minutes (dependent on how roasted you want them)
- After 5 minutes put your cabbage greens into simmering water for 15 mins; you want to keep their freshness and crisp.
- Dress your plate with the sweet potato leaving the oil in the roasting tray… …add the chickpeas and cabbage. Squeeze over half a lemon and then give all a good merge. Mmm.
- Crush the whole garlic’s in the roasting tray so all the juice runs out, give this a stir and pour over the salad.