If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I have been making a version of this dish for years. It was inspired by a recipe in Wine Country Living Magazine. We always have large family celebrations during the holidays and it simplifies my life when I can make something that is both assembled ahead of time and easy to eat. Beef short ribs require lots of knife action. As much as I love cooking meat on the bone for the flavor that it imparts to the sauce, it is not crowd friendly. To amp up the flavor of the braised boneless ribs I have added special flavorings. An Ancho Chile gives it heat, the cinnamon gives it a subtle spice, the orange zest adds freshness and the bit of chocolate adds a lusciousness to the sauce. The wine braised short ribs have a unique and special flavor profile. - lakelurelady
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 pounds Boneless Beef Short Ribs (about 14)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 3 Carrots, cut into small chunks
- 2 cups Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 Dried Ancho Chile, stemmed and halved
- Zest of one orange, cut into thick strips
- 2 cups Beef Broth
- 1 ounce Good Quality Bittersweet Chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Season short ribs with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven. Saute short ribs in batches. Remove them to a plate when they are browned. Add additional olive oil to Dutch oven if necessary. Add chopped vegetables and saute until onion begins to soften.
- Deglaze the pan with the wine. Add the cinnamon stick, Ancho chile, and orange zest strips. Bring to a boil and simmer until the wine is reduced by half. Add the chocolate. Stir to incorporate. Return the ribs to the pan and add enough beef broth to just cover. Bring to a simmer. Cover and place in the oven. Bake for 3 hours.
- Remove the meat from the pot and place in a serving casserole. Strain the sauce, discard the cinnamon stick and puree the strained vegetables, chili and orange zest. Bring the liquid to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes to reduce it slightly. Add the pureed vegetables and stir to combine and thicken the sauce. Pour sauce over short ribs and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chocolate & Spice
These Ballads Are Bananas
Our favorite food-centric songs.
A feast for the ears.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
We're woven this backpack.