If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When a friend pushed a version of this recipe on me, I was less than enthused. Neither a baker or a chocoholic, it took a recent blog hop featuring chocolate for me to try it. My recipe is adapted from one in the Weight Watchers "One Pot Cookbook" that features Amaretto. I switched it up, substituting Grand Marnier and adding orange juice and zest. Cardamom and ginger provided the spicy edge I wanted. I used decaf coffee granules instead of espresso, because that's what I had in the pantry. For a reduced calorie treat that's also low in fat and sodium, we think these are pretty terrific. —Lizthechef
Makes 12 brownies
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 3 tablespoons orange liqueur
- zest of one navel orange
- 4 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 8-inch square baking dish with the oil.
- Using a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, cardamom and ginger. Set aside.
- Using a large bowl, whisk together the egg, egg white, liqueur, orange zest, orange juice and vanilla.
- Add the sugar, melted butter, cocoa and coffee granules. Mix well.
- Stir in the flour mixture and the walnuts. Mix only until blended
- Pour into greased baking dish and bake for 18 minutes. Cool before cutting into squares.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Road Trip Snack
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chocolate & Spice
You Pinned, We Listened
This Month's Top 10 Pinterest Recipes
This month's most pinned recipes.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.