If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These are crispy, sweet-tart sugar cookies that roll out easily and are great for decorating. There's lemon zest in the cookie dough, and lemon juice in the icing. - Louisa
Makes makes a lot of cookies
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- zest of 1 lemon
- Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl.
- Cream the butter and sugar using a mixer.
- Add eggs to the butter/sugar one at a time.
- Add vanilla and lemon zest.
- Add the flour mixture to the dough and mix just until the ingredients are blended.
- Divide the dough into 4 portions and shape each into a disc. Wrap each disc in plastic film and chill for at least 3 hrs. (You can also freeze the dough at this point, and then take it out as you need it.)
- Roll out chilled disc on a flour-sprinkled countertop. Dough should be rolled out pretty thinly. Cut out the dough with your favorite cookie cutters and place cookies on silpat or lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 8+ minutes, depending on the size/thickness of your cookies.
- Cool on wire rack.
- powdered sugar
- gel food coloring
- lemon juice
- Start with about 4 cups of powdered sugar in a bowl. Squeeze and strain the juice from a lemon and stir into the sugar. The consistency should be somewhat thick, so adjust the sugar/lemon juice accordingly. I use baby food jars and pour/spoon the icing into as many jars as colors to be used. Add the gel color to each jar and stir--children love doing this.
- I give each person. a rimmed cookie sheet to work on. Use synthetic paint brushes of assorted sizes for painting the cookies. And make sure to have lots of different sprinkles and sugars.
- Allow cookies to air dry several hours before packaging.
These beach eats can't be beat.
Shore-fire recipes for the beach.
Get out of the frame.
Chocolate has a meltdown.
These are nuts to travel with.