If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: What better way to end a long snowy day on the slopes than with a toddy that’s hot, sweet, and a little boozy. This little black dress might remind you of the hot chocolate you drank as a child, but is sure to make you happy that you’re over 21. The hot chocolate base of cocoa and bittersweet chocolate is rich and sumptuous without being over the top. It is layered with notes of citrus-vanilla and coconut and finished with a beautiful fragrance of cardamom. The flavors come together in perfect balance and complexity. Like a little black dress, accessories take the humble hot chocolate from understated to spectacular. —SwoonMySpoon
For the cardamom syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 15 cardamom pods, finely chopped
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Remove from heat. Add sugar and cardamom pods and stir until sugar is melted. Cover and let steep for 30 minutes. Strain. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
For the hot toddy
- 2 cups Milk ( (whole, 2 percent, or non-fat)
- 2-1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 ounces good quality bittersweet chocolate (such as Scharffenberger or Valrhona), finely chopped
- 2 ounces Licor 43 (a Spanish liquor)
- 2 ounces coconut rum
- 2 ounces cardamom syrup
- In a small saucepan, whisk the milk, cocoa powder, and pinch of salt over medium heat until fully blended. Bring it to a simmer (small bubbles) and remove from heat. Whisk in the bittersweet chocolate until it is completely melted. Add the Licor 43, coconut rum liquor, and cardamom syrup, stir, and divide between 2 mugs. Note: The Licor 43, coconut rum liquor, and cardamom syrup should be at room temperature so that they don’t cool down the drink.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chocolate & Spice
Get Baking This Labor Day
These recipes are worth a little kitchen labor
Get baking this Labor Day.
Make these recipes before it's too late.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our staff's best storage tips.
Storage made crystal clear.