If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This luscious chocolate fondue has only 3 ingredients: dark chocolate, extra-virgin olive oil, and fiori di sicilia--an extract which is like Sicily in a bottle--intensely fragrant of oranges and lemons, jasmine and bitter almonds, with hints of vanilla.
For dipping: hunks of whole grain walnut cranberry bread, blood orange segments, and amaretti cookies pair perfectly with the orange-scented chocolate. A bowl of Sicilian pistachios makes a nice, salty aside. What else could you dip? Figs, fresh or dried. Sliced pears. Candied orange and lemon peel. Marcona almonds. Chunks of panettone. Or just thin slices of crusty baguette, dipped and then sprinkled with coarse sea salt.
Ok, so amaretti cookies aren't exactly a superfood, but the rest of the ingredients are full of healthy fats and rich in antioxidants.
Fiori di sicilia can be found at kingarthurflour.com. To substitute, use 1 teaspoon orange extract, 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract and 1/2 teaspoon real vanilla extract.
- 12 ounces coarsely chopped dark chocolate, such as 66% Valrhona
- 1/2 cup good quality, fruity, extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fiori di sicilia
- 2 cups whole grain bread, cut into 2 inch cubes, or crusty baguette slices
- 2 blood oranges, with peel and pith removed, cut into 1 inch segments
- 2 cups amaretti cookies
- 1 cup pistachios
- Melt chocolate in a bowl over a pan of boiling water. Prepare your dipping ingredients while the chocolate melts.
- Add extra virgin olive oil, and stir vigorously.
- Add 2 teaspoons of fiori di sicilia and mix well.
- Pour melted chocolate mixture into a fondue pot warmed with a flame.
- Serve your fondue with a platter of dipping ingredients.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chocolate & Spice
Freeze It Right There
A fruity, frozen spin on a classic.
A bananas frozen daiquiri.
Community Picks: Lettuce-Free Salad
All you need for Memorial Day.
Cast your vote!
Grind it real good.