If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I wanted to incorporate flavors from my childhood growing up in Mexico City into my mother's chocolate chip cookie recipe. But I also wanted to add ingredients I've discovered more recently like the deliciously elegant and sensuous mesquite flour, coconut palm sugar, and the very versatile (and nutritious) chia.
Although hard to find (but easy to order online), mesquite powder (or flour) is one of the most amazing spices. Worth to try it!
I specifically use canela, or Mexican cinnamon, that is a different variety of the commonly used Saigon cinnamon. Canela is milder, fruitier and sweeter. I ground 2 canela sticks in my coffee grinder, and the smell drove me crazy with impatience. I couldn't wait to eat the first cookie! - Alexandra zohn
Makes about 2 dozen cookies
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 ounces whole oat flour
- 1 tablespoon mesquite powder
- 1 tablespoon ground canela
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 3 ounces Mexican chocolate, cut into chunks
- 1/2 ounce cocoa nibs
- Preheat oven to 357 F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside. In a small bowl mix ground chia seeds with the water and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix oil, chia-water mix, coconut sugar and vanilla extract with a spatula, until a batter forms.
- Add flour, mesquite powder, canela, baking soda and salt into the bowl with the oil mixture, and whisk it until it comes together.
- Add pecans, chocolate chunks, and cocoa nibs, and mix them into the dough with a spatula until they are evenly distributed.
- Drop tablespoonfuls of dough onto the prepared pans, leaving 2 inches between each cookie. Flatten slightly with your palms and bake for about 11 minutes, until nice and golden. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chocolate & Spice
Not Your Average (Garlic Cheddar) Biscuit
Yes, you need another biscuit recipe.
Why You Need Yet Another Biscuit Recipe.
Fresh beer, anywhere.
9 Ways to Celebrate the Royal Baby
What to Do With Marjoram
Go play outside!