If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My mom loves the flavor combination of honey and almond. I baked her a batch of these scones for Mother's day last year. I've been tinkering for a while with an almond scone recipe and found that between the almond meal in the dough and the nuttiness from the spelt flour, these come out just right. Don't worry if you don't have buckwheat honey, these turn out lovely with regular honey. - Oops! Were you gonna eat that?
- 3/4 cup blanched sliced almonds, toasted and divided
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup spelt flour (if you don't have, try whole wheat pastry flour or use all AP flour)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons buckwheat honey
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup plus 2 TBS of heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Add 1/2 cup of the toasted almonds into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse just until you have a fine meal.
- Add the flours, baking powder and salt. Pulse to combine. Add the pieces of cold butter and pulse until the largest pieces of butter are pea sized. Turn mixture out into a mixing bowl.
- In a large measuring cup or small bowl, whisk the honey, egg, cream and almond extract. Pour the cream mixture into the flour mixture. Stir very gently just until the dough comes together.
- The dough will be on the wet side. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and with floured hands, fold the dough over itself 5 or 6 times.
- Pat the dough into an oval that is about 3/4 inch thick. Cut into 12 wedges. Place the scones on the prepared baking sheet and top with the remaining 1/4 cup of the toasted, sliced almonds.
- Bake until cooked through and the tops are golden, rotating the pan halfway through, about 18-20 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire cooling rack. Enjoy with some honey butter!