If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Blueberries are cooked down, then folded into the batter to give these muffins their remarkable color. Strained blueberry puree makes for an equally striking purple glaze. —sugarmountaintreats
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt (nonfat is fine)
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- 1/4 cup milk (lowfat is fine)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with muffin liners.
- In a small frying pan over medium heat, cook the blueberries, stirring occasionally, until they soften and burst, about 10 minutes. You don't want them to disintegrate entirely, but instead to become a thick blueberry sauce. Transfer the blueberry sauce to a fine-mesh sieve to strain out some of the liquid. You will need 2/3 cup of the thick, berry-containing puree (not the strained puree, which will become your glaze).
- Add the flours, sugar, salt, and baking soda to a medium bowl. Whisk until combined.
- In a medium bowl, combine the 2/3 cup blueberry sauce, greek yogurt, lemon zest, and egg. Stir thoroughly but gently, since you don't want to destroy the remaining whole blueberries. Stir in the vanilla. Fold in the flour mixture until fully incorporated, then stir in the milk. Spoon the batter into the muffin liners, filling each about 2/3 full.
- Bake muffins for 20-25 minutes. While they are baking, whisk together 2 tbsp strained blueberry puree with the confectioner's sugar, until it forms a smooth purple glaze. If the glaze is too thick or too runny, add more blueberry puree or sugar as required.
- Let the muffins cool on a rack for 10 minutes. When they are cool, drizzle the glaze on top.
Shop at the Food52 Office
We're having a open house!
Shop at the Food52 office.
Trailblazing snacks to pack.
New to the Shop.
(Home) brew on this.
Get whisked away.