If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I haven't been to North Africa but I imagine that this is something similar to what you would find there - eating it transports me to that place. I originally found this recipe made with lamb about 15 years ago and realized that no one liked the taste of the lamb but loved the broth and combination of flavors - and now it's the most requested dish from guests at my table. - womenwine
8 chicken thighs, 4 bone-in chicken breast
- 1 large onion
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/3 cup apricot preserves or chopped dried apricots
- 4 large sweet potatoes or yams
- dashes salt
- dashes pepper
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- 6 cups water or
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 3 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 Hour Before Serving
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon fenugeek
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- Brown chicken with salt, pepper in olive oil and remove from pot
- Slice onion and add to empty pot with 1/4 c red wine vinegar - let steam with lid half on the pot until reduced, onions pink
- Add 2-3 T olive oil and cook down onions you want them to be soft and carmelized but not burned
- Put chicken back in pot with onions, add enough water to cover and two boullion cubes
- Add apricot preserves, chick peas, cinnamon bring to a gentle boil and reduce to a simmer for about an hour.
- 1/2 hour before serving add peeled chunks of sweet potato to pot, spices, raisins
- Simmer until sweet potatoes are soft (but not mushy) about 30 minutes
- Serve over individual bowls of plain couscous with side garnishes of lemon wedges, hot sauce or tabasco, chopped cilantro. Give dinners a side plate for bones (you want to go through and remove the floating skin from the chicken before serving).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sweet Potato Recipe
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls