If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is turning out to be a really fun week! I have not been a big canned FISHIANADO (yep, I said it verryyyy punny) but in the spirit of learning I went out and bought, well, all of it. So far so good! I am liking these tinned treats! Today's offering is my new pal the kippered herring which turns out to be a nice fairly mild not salty stinky or oily fish. I used crown prince but the Bar Harbor ones are also quite good - both are wild caught all natural. - aargersi
Food52 Review: Aargersi's simple no fuss snack is so easy to make and really tasty. I made a couple of very minor changes, using a shallot rather than onion and I only had red beets so I used those, however, I do recommend you seek out the golden beets as aargersi uses because my snack turned pink (still really delicious though). The beets are a brilliant addition, they add a sweet contrast to the fish, tangy sour cream, briny caper and onion. I enjoyed this as suggested with saltines and cucumbers. It's a great snack, light lunch, or dinner. A recipe that utilizes very few ingredients, is easy to prepare, and tasty gets bonus points in my opinion (and this has it all). If you don't stock herring in your pantry I recommend you do so, if for no other reason than to make this snack. - sdebrango
Serves mid day snacks for 2
- 1 - 3.25 ounces can kippered herring (naturally smoked kipper snacks!)
- 1 cup cooked diced golden beets (I boiled mine - I normally roast them but I am out of foil)
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon capers (I get the itty bitty kind)
- 1 cup diced sweet onion (I love onion a LOT, maybe too much? This is a dish that everyone or noone should eat)
- ground pepper
- juice from 1 lemon
- crackers and sliced cucumber to serve
- For the beets - boil them in salted water until they are tender. Cool, peel and dice.
- Mix everything but the crackers and cucumbers together, taking care not to break up the herring into too small of hunks. Pop it in the fridge and allow it to chill / marry for 20 minutes or so.
- Serve with crackers and slices of cucumber. This is going to make you want a beer. At lunchtime. Yum.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Canned Fish Recipe
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls