Author Notes: A pie with a kick - The young chef
- 2 cups Graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup Sugar
- 8 tablespoons Melted unsalted butter
- 2 cups Fresh lemon juice
- 28 ounces Sweetened condensed milk
- 2 Egg yolks
- 16 Vanilla wafers
- 1 1/2 cup Chilled heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 400°
- Process crumbs, sugar, and butter in a food processor until evenly combined.
- Transfer to a 9″ deep-dish pie dish, and press into bottom and up sides to create a thick crust; set aside.
- Combine juice, milk, and egg yolks in a bowl; beat on medium-high speed of a hand mixer for 5 minutes.
- Pour into prepared crust; bake until crust is browned and filling is only slightly set, about 20 minutes.
- Place wafers around edge of pie, pushing them gently into filling; let cool. Freeze until set, at least 2 hours, or up to overnight.
- Whisk cream and vanilla in a bowl until stiff peaks form; spread evenly over pie and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- From the Saveur.com website