Author Notes: Sunny skies. A cool breeze. A glass of something cool. These perfectly sweet fruit cakes. Ah, summer in San Diego. When I found this recipe while browsing Created by Diane's blog last June, I had to have one (or three) immediately. Good thing they were a piece of cake - kiwi cake, that is - to make. Set them out at your next barbecue and watch them disappear. Just make sure you get one before they do! - misslofox
- 2 green or gold kiwi, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cups orange juice
- 1 cup coconut
- Toast coconut in pan on medium until lightly golden. Butter cupcake pan and place about a 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar in bottom. Add a slice of kiwi into each compartment.
- Blend butter and sugar until creamy. Add egg and mix. Next add flour and baking powder along with orange juice mix on medium until blended.
- Scoop 3 Tablespoons into each area and top with some toasted coconut.
- Bake at 325 degrees (for dark pan) for about 18 minutes.