If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I once developed a basic biscuit recipe and have been using that as the basis for what I call "remainder biscuits" - basically taking whatever I have left in the fridge and making a biscuit out of it. Sounds simple enough, right? A few leftover scallions, buttermilk and a 4oz package of goat cheese make these biscuits light, fluffy and creamy without the need for lard. If you have leftover parmesan, you can throw in 1/4c. of that as well for extra kick. I like to make them for brunch parties and provide sour cream, lox and capers for makeshift biscuit sandwiches. - alyson mance
Makes 8 large biscuits
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold butter, cubed, plus more for baking pan and brushing biscuits
- 4 ounces soft herbed goat cheese (like Montchevre)
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Stick a baking pan or cast iron skillet into the oven to heat it up while you mix your ingredients. If you're using a silpat, don't worry about pre-heating.
- Mix dry ingredients. Add butter cubes and cheese and mix until a mealy texture is formed. Mix in scallions.
- Make a small well in the middle of the bowl and pour in the buttermilk. Mix until dough is well-blended but sticky. Note: If you don't have a stand mixer and a spoon just isn’t cutting it, get a little dirty - mix everything with your hands until the wet and dry ingredients combine to form a big ball of dough.
- Remove your pan from the oven and coat the surface with butter. Using an ice cream scooper or a big spoon, scoop out even portions of dough and drop into the pan. Brush the top of each biscuit with a bit of melted butter. Bake for 15-20, until biscuit tops are golden brown.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Breakfast Baked Good
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spring Alliums
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.