Author Notes: Kulfi is a popular frozen dairy dessert from the India. Kulfi has similarities to ice cream (as popularly understood) in appearance and taste, but is denser and creamier. It comes in various flavours, including cream, rose, mango, cardamom , saffron and pistachio, the more traditional flavors. Kulfi is also served with a drink made from vermicelli, basil seeds, rose syrup and milk. This recipe was originally submitted in maple contest, but with this contest in mind I have changes the name . The only difference is that once this base is prepared instead filling them into Popsicle mold churn it into ice cream maker and freeze it and enjoy as ice-cream. There is really no big difference in ice cream and Kulfi. - PistachioDoughnut
Food52 Review: This was my first attempt at making Kulfi, though I've eaten several variations at restaurants. The texture came out like a dense ice cream, and was less icy than I expected (a good thing!) The dates, orange, and maple turn it into a sweet but complex treat with the nuts adding some welcome texture. The recipe didn't specify a quantity for the nuts, so I used 1/2 cup of almonds. I think anywhere between 1/4 to 1/2 cup would work well. I recommend using a large, wide bottomed pan to cook the kulfi down to avoid boil over and speed up the reduction process. - Food52
Makes 6 popsicle molds
- 1.5 cups Milk
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup Evaporated Milk
- 3 to 4 tablespoons Milk powder
- 2 tablespoons Sugar
- 1/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 1/2 cup Dates, pitted and chopped
- Coarsely ground Nuts of your choice
- Zest of one orange
- Take all the ingredients on medium heat in a heavy bottomed saucepan. And, keep stirring it till you get a thick and nice consistency of mixture.
- Once, simmered well and reduced , it should take more than half an hour to bring down the desired rich consistency. Let it cool down. now, to make this into ice cream simply, churn it out into ice cream maker and let it freeze for about 4 hours atleast before serving. Garnish it with date or orange zest or may be nuts.
- This step is to make pops or Kulfi's . And, fill this liquid mixture onto Popsicle mold, or if you do not have one in a ziploc tight container. And, freeze it overnight or preferably about 6 hours atleast.
- Remove from the refrigerator and serve chilled, enjoy it with good laughs with family and friends..
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Frozen Dessert
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Ice Cream
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Maple Recipe