If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These are chicken nuggets for grownups, although I do know many kids who like spicy food. The chicken is marinated in maple syrup and cayenne and then breaded and fried. Dip them in the spicy maple sauce and they pack a nice punch. —inpatskitchen
Serves 4 for dinner and more if served as an appetizer
For the sauce
- 1 cup homemade or good quality purchased mayo
- 1 tablespoon (or more if you like really spicy sambal oelek (spicy chili paste)
- 4 tablespoons dark amber maple syrup
- Combine all ingredients, cover and refrigerate until serving time.
For the nuggets
- 4 six to eight ounce skinless, boneless chicken breasts cut into 1 to 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, divided
- 1/2 cup dark amber maple syrup
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- Vegetable oil (enough to fill a large frying pan about an inch for pan frying)
- Place the chicken cubes in a bowl and stir in 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne and the 1/2 cup maple syrup. Cover and refrigerate for about 45 minutes to an hour.
- After marinating, place the chicken cubes in a colander to drain the liquid and then place them back in the bowl and stir in the beaten egg to coat.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne. Dredge the chicken cubes in the seasoned flour and set on a wire rack.
- Heat the oil in the large frying pan and then pan fry the cubes for just a few minutes to brown all sides. transfer the cubes to a rimmed baking sheet. (Fry the cubes in batches - don't over crowd)
- Bake the cubes in a pre heated 425F oven for 10 minutes. Serve hot with the dipping sauce.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Hors d'Oeuvre
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spicy Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Maple Recipe