If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I really love an old fashioned cream soda and I usually make a vanilla simple syrup and make my own. Using the same idea instead of sugar I used maple syrup, vanilla bean, vanilla paste and some lemon peel. The maple syrup gives it a complexity that sugar doesn't. Just add some ice and seltzer or club soda and enjoy. I used vanilla paste but if you don't have it use 2 vanilla beans. This also makes a great ice cream soda! - sdebrango
Food52 Review: There's a simple brilliance to this recipe. The grade A maple I used caramelized a bit, adding depth to the flavor. Vanilla adds that welcome creamy hug and the lemon is such an unexpected twist. Maple is a warm, fall & winter flavor [for me at least] but sdebrango's recipe is a great celebration of spring & summer maple. And can I tell you how delicious my grown-up float was? 3 oz maple cream syrup, 1.5 oz bourbon, 8 oz seltzer and one hearty scoop of vanilla ice cream, a simple and satisfying dessert. - Food52
Makes 4-6 (depends on serving size)
- 1 cup maple syrup (Grade A or B)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped out
- 1 2 inch wide slice of lemon rind (not the white pith)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- Add the maple syrup, vanilla bean the seeds, lemon, vanilla paste and water to a sauce pan bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let sit until the syrup cools to room temperature. To store pour it in a lidded jar include the vanilla bean and remove the lemon rind. Refrigerate. I recommend letting it sit overnight before using as the vanilla and maple will meld producing a more intense flavor.
- To make the soda, add 2- 3 tbs maple/vanilla syrup to an 8 oz glass, add seltzer or club soda, ice cubes and enjoy. This is great as an ice cream float, add a scoop of vanilla ice cream. You can adjust the amount of syrup to suit your taste.
Too Many Cooks: Who Has Changed the Way You Cook?
Let's talk game changers and influencers.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Simple, Springy Leek Soup
A well-rounded bud vase.
The Best Cinnamon Rolls