If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The addition of maple syrup, honey and bittersweet dark chocolate and sea salt sprinkles kicks up a notch the traditional caramel shortbread bars. —Bohdanna
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cups flour, unbleached, all purpose
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 pieces egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 cups butter, unsalted, chilled, cut into small cubes
Caramel Filing and Chocolate Glaze
- 24 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup, pure, light grade
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, light
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 tablespoons butter, unsalted, chilled, cut into small cubes
- 12 ounces bittersweet dark chocolage, chopped
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream, whipping
- 1 cup pecans, toasted, chopped
- 20 pieces whole toasted pecans
- 1/4 cup maple syrup for pecan glaze
- 2 tablespoons butter for pecan glaze
- In a food processor, add the flour, white sugar and salt, and blend. Add the butter and pulse unti mixed.
- Mix the egg yolk together with the milk and then slowly add into the processor with the motor running, mix on pulse until the flour comes together,
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and butter a metal or glass pan 12 by 9 by 2.
- Put the shortbread dough into the bottom of the buttered pan, and bake in preheated overn aout 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove crust from oven and, let it sit in pan while you prepare caramel filing.
- Prepare the caramel filing by place in a heavy medium pan the condensed milk, sugar, honey, butter, maple syrup, vanilla over medium heat and wisk until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Boil slowly about 8-10 minutes whisking coninually until mixture heats to 225 degrees F.
- Add this carmel filing over the baked crust and spread evenly.
- Take the chocolate and the whipped cream and place in microwave for about 30-45 seconds stirring 2-3 times until its smooth. Do not over microwave.
- Sprinkle the caramel with the chopped pecans, then cover with the chocolate glaze,
- Take the whole pecans and saute them with 1/4 cup of maple syrup and butter, then let cool. Use as garnish over the bars.
- Place pan in refrigerator to set at least an hour. Cut into bars.
More Great Recipes: Desserts