Author Notes: The addition of maple syrup, honey and bittersweet dark chocolate and sea salt sprinkles kicks up a notch the traditional caramel shortbread bars. - Bohdanna
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cups flour, unbleached, all purpose
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 pieces egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 cup butter, unsalted, chilled, cut into small cubes
Caramel Filing and Chocolate Glaze
- 24 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup maple syrup, pure, light grade
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, light
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 12 tablespoons butter, unsalted, chilled, cut into small cubes
- 12 ounces bittersweet dark chocolage, chopped
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream, whipping
- 1 cup pecans, toasted, chopped
- 20 pieces whole toasted pecans
- 1/4 cup maple syrup for pecan glaze
- 2 tablespoons butter for pecan glaze
- In a food processor, add the flour, white sugar and salt, and blend. Add the butter and pulse unti mixed.
- Mix the egg yolk together with the milk and then slowly add into the processor with the motor running, mix on pulse until the flour comes together,
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and butter a metal or glass pan 12 by 9 by 2.
- Put the shortbread dough into the bottom of the buttered pan, and bake in preheated overn aout 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove crust from oven and, let it sit in pan while you prepare caramel filing.
- Prepare the caramel filing by place in a heavy medium pan the condensed milk, sugar, honey, butter, maple syrup, vanilla over medium heat and wisk until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Boil slowly about 8-10 minutes whisking coninually until mixture heats to 225 degrees F.
- Add this carmel filing over the baked crust and spread evenly.
- Take the chocolate and the whipped cream and place in microwave for about 30-45 seconds stirring 2-3 times until its smooth. Do not over microwave.
- Sprinkle the caramel with the chopped pecans, then cover with the chocolate glaze,
- Take the whole pecans and saute them with 1/4 cup of maple syrup and butter, then let cool. Use as garnish over the bars.
- Place pan in refrigerator to set at least an hour. Cut into bars.