Author Notes: Here is a recipe for a quick and easy dinner, which I just made for us. Since the combination of sweet and spicy most of the time is present in Asian food, I went in this direction. You can also make this dish using pork tenderloin or medium- thickness pork chops. - Kukla
Serves 4 or 2 hungry ones
- • 4 (about 8-ounce) veal cutlets, flattened gently with a meat mallet to 1/2-inch thickness
- • Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- • 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- • 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- • 3/4 cup low-salt chicken broth
- • 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- • 1 tablespoon chili-garlic sauce
- • chopped fresh cilantro or Italian parsley
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F. Sprinkle the cutlets on both sides with salt, pepper, and five-spice powder.
- Heat oil in large skillet over high heat. Add veal; cook 2 cutlets at the time until brown and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a cookie sheet and place in the oven to keep them warm.
- To the same skillet add chicken broth, maple syrup and chili-garlic sauce to skillet. Boil until reduced to scant 1/4 cup, about 2 minutes. Pour sauce over cutlets; sprinkle with cilantro or parsley.
- Serve 1 veal cutlet per portion with rice or pasta to soak up the sweet and spicy sauce or 2 cutlets with a salad. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Maple Recipe