If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Smooth, illustrious, versatile, quick, easy, impressive, unique.... even healthy for a sweetie!
*I have made this with varying ratios in the milk and cream dept. and it has been wildly successful each time. If you change the ratio to 3 cups milk : 1 cup cream, you will have a slightly icier texture, especially if there is any left that you end up storing in the freezer (doubtful). If you go with 3 cups cream and one cup milk, you will have a denser, creamier texture. All ratios are delicious. I think all gelato is better when it is freshly churned and soft and billowy.... I don't understand why most recipes tell you to freeze it for awhile before eating, which is impossible with this one anyway, it is way too delicious; I recommend starting the churning right after dinner and voila' 20 mins later you will be ecstatic. Oh, AND contrary to popular belief, gelato is so simple to make. If you curdle the yolks by accident, just bust out the immersion blender and buzzBuzz the mixture for two seconds and it will be back to smooth. (For the full story, go to www.saucyvermont.com) —saucy. von Trapp
Makes approx. 1 qt
- 1 cup Maple syrup (as dark as you can find, I like Grad C)
- 2 cups Milk (ideally raw, whole, organic)
- 2 cups Cream (ideally raw, whole, organic
- 4 Egg yolks (organic & farm fresh makes a big difference!!)
- 1 pinch sea salt (I like sel gris)
- 2 cups Nuts (I like pecans or walnuts here)
- 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fresh black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh sage or rosemary or a combination of the two
- 1/8 cup Maple Syrup
- Spicy-Sweet Nuts for topping. Preheat oven to 375. Rub a baking sheet with butter if you don't want it to be caked with maple syrup crystallization. 2) Place 2 cups nuts, 1/2tsp cayenne, 1 tsp sea salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp sage and/or rosemary in a dish. Drizzle with 1/8 cup maple syrup. 3) Spread mixture evenly on the cookie sheet. 4) Bake for approximately 10 minutes; do not walk away like I always do or else you will have black nuts and have to start over... 5) Watch them like a hawk, they are ready when they begin to smell delicious. Remove from oven and cool. 6) Try not to eat all of them before your gelato is ready
- Gelato 1) Pour 1 c. maple syrup into a small saucepan and heat over medium at a simmer for about 5-7 mins, until it reduces slightly. Add the 2 c. milk and 2 c. cream to the pan and continue heating over low-medium heat, stirring constantly, for about 7 mins. Remove from the heat. 2) Separate your 4 eggs and place the whites in a jar in the fridge for later use... (Im thinking meringue for a springy key-lime tart...) Place the yolks in the bowl of a stand mixer or in a medium-size bowl if you have a hand-held beaters. 3) Beat the 4 egg yolks with the whisk attachment (or by hand) until they are light yellow and frothy. Very gradually pour your hot milk into the yolk mixture while the machine is running.
- 4) Pour the whole shibang back into the saucepan and stir constantly over medium-low heat until the mixture lightly coats the back of a wooden spoon (about 10 mins). If you over do it and the eggs scramble, as I said above, just buzz with the immersion blender for about 2 seconds until it is a uniform liquid again. 5) Chill for a long time... if you are short on time start it in the freezer for the initial cool-down and then move to the fridge before ice crystals start to form. You want it to be cold before you put it in the ice cream maker. 7) Retrieve cold custard from refrigerator (it won't be really thick like an American idea of custard) and pour into your ice cream machine. I have the one that attaches to the kitchenaid. I turn it on and pour in the mixture while it is running or else it will freeze up! (Or follow the directions for your machine).
This May Be the Best Thing You Can Do with Zucchini
A genius make-ahead summer side
A genius zucchini dish.
Is your cilantro contaminated?
It's time to travel.
Do this for better cold brew.