Author Notes: I make this every New Year's morning along with gravlax and latkes. A perfect way to start the New Year. - culturalconstruct
Makes 24 small cakes
- 2 cups warm milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg white
- Dissolve sugar and yeast in milk. Stir in 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour. Cover mixing bowl and allow to rise about 2 hours.
- In separate bowl beat 3 egg yolks and 2 tablespoons melted butter. Stir 1/2 cup flour and 1 teaspoon salt into egg mixture; stir well into sponge. Allow batter to rise another 2 hours or until doubled.
- Beat to stiff peaks 3 egg whites and fold them into batter; rest 15 minutes.
- Cook individual cakes (a few tablespoons each) on hot greased griddle as you would pancakes. Cakes will raise quite high. Top with sour cream, caviar, gravlax, and chives.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pancakes, Sweet or Savory