If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a simple recipe yet makes the most of the wonderful flavor combination of curry and sweets. You can subsitute curry powder if that's what you have in your pantry. This freezes very well! I freeze individual portions and often vary it by adding more cumin, or some cream or top with coutons so I don't feel like it's the same soup ... again! - BronaCos
Makes about 8 cups
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 2/3 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 1 large clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon coarsely grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom & tureric, each
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper flakes, optional
- 2 1/2 pounds sweetpotatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 6 cups no-salt-added chicken stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 teaspoons fresh goat cheese
- Heat oil in a nonstick pot large enough to hold all the ingredients. Sauté onion until it begins to brown, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, and sauté, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- To make the curry flavoring, add ginger, cumin, coriander, cardamom, turmeric and optional hot pepper flakes, and stir well. Add sweetpotatoes and stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for about 20 minutes, until sweetpotatoes are soft.
- Puree soup in batches in blender or food processor. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Soup can be made ahead of time and refrigerated. Reheat slowly to serve.) If soup is too thick, add a little more stock. Ladle into mugs, top each serving with a teaspoon of cheese, and stir to melt a little – adds a wonderful tanginess!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Sweet Potato Recipe
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.