If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Separating eggs and dirtying up two bowls may not be the first thing you want to do on a sleepy sunday morning, but if you want to get a little flashy this is the recipe for you. Many years ago I fawned over the fluffiest pancakes I ever had at the shutters hotel in santa monica. I played around with it a little, omitting the lemon extract, adding more flour and added the classic combo of poppy seeds and a deliciously simple raspberry sauce. In the quest for fluffy pancakes, this is the Holy Grail. - Brita
Makes 6-10 pancakes
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup All purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- grated zest of 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 pinch salt
- In a mixer beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Add sugar and beat until glossy stiff peaks. In another bowl beat egg yolks until thick, then beat in ricotta,flour, butter, zest, poppy seeds and salt. fold whites gently into yolk mixture by thirds.
- Heat skillet over medium heat and spoon batter into pan cooking approximately 1 minute per side. pancakes won't get that matte look on the edges, so look for them to puff up in the middle or check to see they are golden brown. As you go, you can keep a large plate in a 200 degree oven and place the pancakes in a tall stack to keep warm.
- 1 pint raspberries
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- sour cream (optional)
- Mix raspberries sugar and water in a small saucepan and place over medium heat. stir and mash raspberries with the back of spoon. Let simmer for 8-10 minutes until the mixture resembles a smooth sauce.
- Top with raspberry sauce and sour cream (my personal fave) or maple syrup and butter.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pancakes, Sweet or Savory
Jam is a Liquid
And other things to keep in mind when traveling with food.
Do not pack these foods in your carry-on.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Let's get chopping.
Macerated strawberries, with a twist.
That was a close shave.