Author Notes: This is similar to another Greek dish called spanakopitas and are just as delicious. Vegetables can be added to the mix such as spinach or perhaps olives, just make sure to chop them finely. - The young chef
Serves 10 - 12
- 1/2 pound crumbled Feta cheese
- 1/2 pound Cottage cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound Filo dough cut into 9 x 14" strips
- 1/2 pound melted Butter
- Combine cheeses, eggs and salt in a bowl. Stir until blended.
- Set up your station: you need a large cutting board, a teaspoon (a measuring teaspoon), a brush, the melted butter, a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, and the fillo dough. If you haven’t already, unwrap the fillo dough and place it in a ziploc back.
- Lay one sheet of fillo horizontally oriented in front of you on your cutting board. Brush it with butter. Run a knife down the piece of dough every two inches or so — this should yield six to seven strips.
- Place one teaspoon of cheese mixture at the end of each strip. Fold over corner to make a triangle. Continue folding from side to side till you get to the end of the strip. Place on prepared pan. Brush tops with butter. Repeat process until you’ve used up all of your filling.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool briefly before serving.