If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Really, why wait for Hanukkah for latkes? Here's a recipe so easy you can Tweet it:
1lb.potatoes,1onion,1egg,1/4c.matzoh meal, salt,pepper,oil.Grate,mix,fry,eat!
In Mark Bittman minimalist style, I suggest a latke shortcut -- easy as whipping up an omelette. If you’re a purist, take out a russet potato or three and grate in a food processor Otherwise, (cheat and) open a package of Simply Potatoes, hash brown style. Take from the package only what you need, about a half cup of potatoes per serving. Add chopped onion, egg, matzoh meal (bread crumbs or panko) a dash of salt and pepper, and mix.
For an elegant variation; add to the mixture 4 ounces of smoked salmon, chopped in narrow pieces. Fry in veg or peanut oil... until golden crispy, and heavenly scented. Serve with sour cream, more lox on the side, if you choose. Pour yourself a glass of white wine and have a simple, and elegant meal, from prep to finish in about 10 minutes.
- Vivian Henoch
Serves up to 4
- 1 to 4 large russet potatoes, or 2 cups grated potatoes per serving
- 1or 2 eggs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup matzoh meal (bread crumbs, panko or all-purpose flour)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 ounces chopped lox, optional
- 1/2 cup peanut or veg oil for frying
- MIX grated potatoes, onion, eggs, matzoh meal, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Slice lox (smoked salmon) into narrow strips, gently stir into potato mixture.
- Spoon batter into hot oil. Fry until golden and delicious. Enjoy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pancakes, Sweet or Savory
A Recipe-Free Memorial Day Menu
It's never too late to throw a party.
A Memorial Day menu, minus the fuss.
The classiest peppers on the 'net.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Stop the soap opera.