If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When my beloved lemony pancakes, the ones flecked with zucchini and onion and stuffed miraculously with a slice of brie cheese in the middle, disappeared from the menu of my favorite local restaurant, I set my hands to some recipe forensics. After just a few tries and tweaks, I had my own version of those flapjacks back on my plate. —Wonderland Kitchen
Makes six 5-inch cakes
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small zucchini
- 2 scallions, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 6 thin slices of brie
- In a medium-sized bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and sugar. Set aside.
- Shred zucchini and blot well with paper towels to remove as much excess moisture as possible. Reserve.
- Beat egg into the buttermilk and add this mixture, the oil, zucchini, scallions, and lemon zest to the dry ingredients. Whisk together until just incorporated. Allow to rest while bringing your skillet or griddle up to medium heat.
- When hot, grease lightly with a little butter (I keep a paper towel nearby to spread the grease around and keep it from getting excessive). Drop batter by the scant 1/3 cup onto your cooking surface of choice; it’s somewhat thick, so you may need to spread it just a bit with your ladle, but don’t thin it out too much. You want some fluff.
- When dry around the edges and ready to flip, place a slice of the cheese on top of the uncooked side and turn in over in the pan. If you have a problem with the cheese melting to the skillet instead of browning and crisping, lightly re-grease the pan before you set the uncooked side down on it again.
- Continue in this manner until all pancakes are made. Serve hot topped with a pat of butter and a drizzle of honey.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pancakes, Sweet or Savory
How to make lemonade without a recipe
Lemonade, sans recipe.
Last day for free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Green pesto is so last summer.
Savor the season.