Author Notes: Inspired by a stop at a roadside food cart in Maui for a taste of Aunt Sandy’s famous banana bread, this recipe embraces the tropical flavors of the island. - Wonderland Kitchen
Makes 1 loaf
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cups walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat over to 350F. Grease a 9″x5″ loaf pan and line bottom and sides with a piece of parchment, leaving enough overhanging that you’ll be able to lift the bread out when baking is complete.
- Measure flour, baking soda, salt, spices, nuts, and coconut into a medium bowl and run a whisk around it to evenly combine.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, cream oil and sugar, then mix in the eggs one at a time, and then bananas and vanilla extract, scrape the bowl down in between additions. Next, stir in dry ingredients with a spoon just until combined and spread evenly into the loaf pan.
- Bake for 55 minutes, or until golden and cake tester comes out clean. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack.