If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Light and refreshing, a great breakfast treat. Not too sweet and made with coconut milk, and soy butter, this is a delicious dairy-free option! —maiah03
- 2-1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup raw cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup cold soy butter or other non dairy butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup juice of the zested orange
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
Optional Topping Ingredients
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup turbinado or sanding sugar
- Dice soy or nondairy butter finely; place in freezer to chill.
- Mix coconut milk and apple cider vinegar; set aside to let curdle and thicken.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, sugar and sea salt.
- With your fingers or fork or pastry blender, work in chilled nondairy butter until it resembles coarse meal. Stir in coconut milk mixture, orange zest and orange juice, egg yolk, and poppy seeds, stirring just until combined.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead dough several times, shape into a large circle and cut wedges.
- Place scone triangles onto cookie sheets and if desired, brush with egg and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 400 degrees 12-16 minutes or until light golden in color.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Coconut
More Great Recipes: Breakfast & Brunch