If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Perhaps it is the warming weather, but it seems that lately everywhere I look - emails, magazines, menus - there are green mangos. I had never tried a green mango, so I wanted to see what all the hubbub was about - well as it turns out, they are delicious! Crispy and just barely sweet. They TASTE healthy! This salad is kicked up with serranos and fresh herbs. Also I found that a toothed peeler made life with a green mango much easier. —aargersi
Serves salad for 4-6
- 2 hard mangos - they are not actually green, just unripe
- 1 cup sweet onion - thinly sliced - I used Texas 1015 but vidalia, walla-walla, or those Hawaiian ones will work too
- 2 serrano peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- juice from one lime
- Slice then measure your onion. Chop then measure your cilantro. Halve the serrano peppers, remove seeds and pith, and slice thinly. I do not use gloves but it's not a bad idea. Chop the mint - I did a chiffonade (roll the leaves into a little burrito then thinly slice - pretty mint ribbons)
- Peel the mangos - seriously the kind of peeler with the little serrated teeth will make this much easier. Cut off the cheeks, cut them in 3 the long way then thinly slice. You can also get "mini cheeks" from the sides and slice those.
- Toss all of the ingredients together, then cover and put the salad in the fridge for an hour (I am eating some next day and it is still crispy delicious - you want all of the flavors to have some time to marry)
- That's all - eat up! Very good with grilled lamb chops, just FYI
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mangoes
Go Greek (Yogurt)
The secret to lighter, tangier whipped cream
Yogurt whipped cream: your new go-to.
Bagel and lox, in a salad.
Savor the season.
Tennessee whiskey is the tops.
Orange you sweet.