If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This began life as a grilled mango pizza, as in "Hey! For this week's contest, let's grill some mango and make a pizza out of it!" Like a few - well, more than a few - of the ideas we come up with after a couple of cocktails, this was not outstandingly successful. One day I will tell you about "Gas Up and Get Down," the Spouse's idea for a combination gas station and dance club. But not now. Anyway, the grilled mango part of the pizza recipe was terrific (but why on earth did we think it would go well with cheese?). We had some leftover grilled mango, and what better use for a mango than in a margarita? The excess cilantro we incorporated into a simple syrup, and the remaining red onions, well, we didn't use them.
Makes 2 cocktails
Cilantro simple syrup
- small handful of cilantro leaves, bruised
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Bring ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan, stir until sugar is dissolved. Let cool and strain into a jar.
- 1 nice, ripe mango, peeled and cut into slices and/or wedges (about 3/4 cup)
- 3 ounces silver tequila
- 2 ounces Grand Marnier or other orange liquer
- 3 ounces fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 2 ounces fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 2 ounces cilantro simple syrup
- Fire up your grill. Heat up one of those non-stick perforated pans you put on the grates for things like shrimp and veggies. When nice and hot, add the mango slices/wedges in a single layer and grill for a couple of minutes per side, or until it takes on a nice color. Remove and let cool in the fridge.
- In a blender, combine the grilled mango, tequila, Grand Marnier, lime juice, orange juice and cilantro simple syrup and whiz until blended. Pour into a cocktail shaker filled with ice cubes, shake, and strain into two Margarita glasses that you have rimmed with salt, or sugar, or Aleppo pepper, depending on whether your guests are the sweet or spicy type.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mangoes
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Berti Foraging Knife
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.