Author Notes: Every family has it's "urban myths". This cake is one of mine. Apparently one of my family members (about 80 years ago) had dinner at the Waldorf-Astoria in NY. Dessert was a wonderful chocolate cake. My great aunt asked for the recipe and it was sent to her with a bill for $100.00. I have checked her recipe with Waldorf Astoria chocolate cake recipes and have concluded that either they have since changed their recipe or she tweaked the recipe herself...she was a chocolholic! - dymnyno
Serves a cake
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add beaten eggs
- Add melted chocolate
- Add all ingrediants alternately with milk.
- Fold in coarsely chopped nuts. After all ingredients are added and mixed , pour into two cake pans.
- Bake for 45 min or until a toothpick comes clean. Bake at 350 degrees.
- Chocolate frosting: 2/3 cup melted butter, 2 cups powdered sugar, 4 tbs. powdered chocolate, 4 tbs black coffee. Cook over low heat and cool and then frost.
- .When cakes are cool frost the cake. Put a lot on the first layer, add the second and then frost the second layer , letting the frosting drip over the sides.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chocolate Cake