If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: You can't go back to store bought yogurt once you get a taste of homemade yogurt!!! - blackdogfoodblog
- 1 gallon organic 2% milk
- 5 ounces plain organic yogurt (Make sure it contains live and active cultures)
- Bring water to boil in heavy bottom pot (I used my Le Creuset pot) This will sanitize the pot.
- Place the lid in the sink and pour the hot water to the lid. This will sanitize the lid. ( Dip the thermometer probe into the hot water for a few seconds as well! )
- Turn the oven 150?F or ‘Warm’ setting.
- Heat milk to 185?F on low heat. It took me about 15 mins. Be patient…do not go anywhere. Keep stirring. Keep checking for temperature. You can check facebook gossips on your smart phone but no matter what you do, do not leave the pot alone. Once it hit 185?F, turn off the heat. Now the worst part is over. You just need to cool it down, add yogurt (It will act as a starter) and let it culture overnight.
- Cool down scalded milk to 110?F.
- Stir in one package of store-bought organic plain yogurt (As a starter)
- Turn off the oven but keep the ‘Light’ on. Heat from the light will help it culture. Cover the pot with lid then put kitchen cloth over it. Place the pot in the oven and leave it there overnight (I actually put it in around 8pm and let it out around 9am -it turned out perfect)
- Carefully pour out the liquid accumulated on top.
- Strain the yogurt for creamy and more consistent texture.
- If you like creamier, thicker (Greek style), strain it again through cheesecloth and let extra moisture drip down for 30 mins.
- Refrigerate yogurt till set.
- Enjoy it with some berries and honey! ( Save one cup -freeze it so you can use it as a starter for your next batch. )