If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Many years ago, I read an article about how to properly fry an egg (on low heat) and it described this egg sandwich. The decadence is due to the amount of butter used for 1 egg. I love the complex salty flavor from the anchovy; this is an occasional treat for those times I feel like indulging myself. —HalfPint
Food52 Review: WHO: HalfPint is a financial analyst — and a killer cook — who calls San Francisco home.
WHAT: Your favorite breakfast sandwich, but better.
HOW: Slow-cook a fried egg, then melt an anchovy in the same butter and drag your toast through it. Pour coffee. Dig in.
WHY WE LOVE IT: Egg sandwiches are classic, but HalfPint builds on that with an unapologetic knob of butter, anchovy, and a new method for frying your egg. You’ll wonder why you haven’t been doing it this way all along. —The Editors
- 1 extra large or jumbo egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, and more as needed
- 2 bread slices, lightly toasted
- 1/2 anchovy fillet or 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste
- In a medium to large fry pan, melt the butter on low heat. Crack in the egg and gently cook until the white is firm. This could take about 15 minutes. Gently turn over the egg and cook another 5 minutes or longer depending on how cooked you like the yolk. Transfer egg to a warm plate, cover to keep warm.
- There should be a small puddle melted butter left in the fry pan. Add more if it looks dry -- you will want at least a thin coating of butter in the pan. Add anchovy and stir it into the butter, breaking it up. Cook about 1 minute.
- Increase the heat to medium high. Place bread slices on top of the anchovy butter and fry for about 1 minute or until golden. Fry one side only (you could fry both sides, but it makes a messy sandwich to eat).
- Place the egg in between the fried bread (with fried side facing inward). Add a sprinkling of ground black pepper if you like. Serve immediately.
- Your Best Recipe with Anchovies Contest Finalist!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Meat as a Flavoring
How to make lemonade without a recipe
Lemonade, sans recipe.
Last day for free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
7 food-filled honeymoons.
Green pesto is so last summer.
Savor the season.