Author Notes: This is a thick, punchy dressing that goes well on a variety of vegetables from asparagus and broccoli to artichoke and green beans. It is even good tossed on a spinach salad or served with grilled meats and fish. But please note it is a dressing, not a dip. Decadent for small doses. It makes a fair amount which could be halved, but you may as well give it as a gift. - savorthis
Makes 3 cups
- 1/4 pound bacon, sliced
- 3/4 cups cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup pecans, toasted
- fresh herbs like chives, parsley
- Render bacon until just barely starting to brown- enough to make 1 cup.
- Put bacon and everything except sugar and herbs into a blender and blend well. Add sugar to taste (it's tricky to know exactly what you might like with the sweetness of the juice and vinegar). Blend in a small handful of herbs.
- This dressing is best the next day. It will be thick, but can be thinned with some good quality olive oil or, if you like, more juice. Though it also thins a bit if tossed with just washed spinach. You can garnish with more herbs and crushed pecans.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vinegar
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Meat as a Flavoring