Author Notes: A TAKE ON AN OLD ITALIAN CLASSIC . . . THIS IS A FRESH, SUPER YUMMY SALAD I ENJOYED WITH AN OLD ITALIAN FRIEND OF MINE YEARS AGO . . . THOUGH WE ENJOYED IT AS A SIDE-DISH ALONGSIDE SEVERAL GLASSES OF PROSECO AND OTHER FABULOUS LIGHT ITALIAN DISHES ONE SUMMER EVENING ON HIS VERANDA, I HAVE OFTEN RE-CREATED IT AS A MAIN DISH FOR A SIMPLE FUSS-FREE LUNCH, OR BRUNCH MANY TIMES SINCE! - Petra Maria
Serves 4 - 6 generous servings
- 4 cups HERB ED FOCCACIA BREAD, CUBED PREFERABLY DAY-OLD
- 2 ounces PROSCIUTTO, THIN-SLICED & CUT INTO STRIPS
- 2 ounces SOPRESSTA OR COPPA SALAMI, THIN-SLICED, AND CUT INTO STRIPS
- 3 CLOVES GARLIC, MINCED
- 3 tablespoons RED WINE VINEGAR
- 4 cups TORN ARUGALA LEAVES
- 2 cups FIRM RIPE MELON (1 CUP EACH HONEYDEW & CANTALOUPE
- 1/2 cup EACH, CHOPPED, FRESH BASIL, AND FLAT-LEAF PARSLEY
- FRESH CRACKED SEA SALT & PEPPER TO TASTE
- 1 tablespoon HONEY (OR AGAVE NECTAR)
- 5 tablespoons EXTRA-VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
- 1 cup OLIVES, PITTED, & HALVED (KALAMATA OR MIXED GREEK WORK GOOD!)
- 1 cup WHITE KIDNEY BEANS, RINSED AND DRAINED
- 1.) Preheat oven to 350° 2.) Spread Foccacia pieces on a baking sheet. Drizzle with about 1 tablespoon olive oil, tossing to coat. Bake, stirring occasionally until lightly toasted and crisp, about 12 - 15 minutes.
- 3.) Meanwhile, heat 4 tablespoons oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat until. Add prosciutto, and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly crisp, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, and cook, stirring constantly until garlic becomes fragrant, about 30 seconds more. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar, and sweetener. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 4.) Place arugula, sopressta or coppa salami, melon, beans, basil, parsley and the toasted foccacia in a large bowl. Add the prosciutto mixture and toss to combine. Let salad stand for about 10/15 minutes so the bread can absorb some of the dressing. Serve immediately . . . enjoy!!!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Meat as a Flavoring