Author Notes: As the weather gets hotter, so does the kitchen making oven-free desserts ideal, try this no-fail creamy Panna Cotta with rich dark chocolate ganache! Panna Cotta literally translates to cooked cream in Italian and the recipe is just about as simple as the name. - La Tavola Marche
- 3 sheets of gelatin
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, slit lengthwise
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, 72% or better
- 3/4 cups heavy cream
- Fill a bowl with water, add the gelatin and let is soak. Pour milk into a pan & bring to just below simmering, then remove the pan from the heat. Do NOT let it boil.
- Drain & squeeze out the gelatin & add it to the milk.
- Pour the cream into another pan, add the sugar and vanilla bean and bring to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly. Then remove the pan from the heat, remove the vanilla bean and stir in the milk mixture.
- You can put the mixture into any kind of ramekin, mold, cup, you like. Rinse your 'glass' in ice-cold water, shaking out any excess water & fill with the milk mixture
- Chill in the refrigerator for several hours until set (at least 3-4 hours). Turn out onto a serving dish & serve with chocolate sauce.
- In a double boiler melt chocolate bar. Once the chocolate is completely melted, slowly whisk in cream until the desired consistency is reached.
- Drizzle over the top of the panna cotta once on the serving plate.