If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This avocado coconut pie (which can easily be made vegan, by using vegan graham crackers & margarine, or raw by substituting an unbaked pistachio crust) has been a favorite of mine for the past year for its lightness, flavor, and ease. It's the avocado shake from your favorite Vietnamese restaurant, in pie form. Adapted from Vegan Yum Yum. - Nothing in the House // Emily Hilliard
Makes 1, 9-inch pie
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 1/2 cups (about 1 package) graham cracker crumbs (ground with a food processor)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Put graham crackers crumbs in the bowl of a food processor. Add melted butter and pulse until well mixed.
- 2. Pat the buttery crumbs into a 9-inch pie pan, pressing mixture into the bottom and sides to form a pie crust. Place in oven and bake until crust is lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Place on a cooling rack and let cool to room temperature before adding the filling.
Avocado Filling and Whipped Coconut Topping
- 28 ounces (2 cans) full-fat coconut milk (divided use)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 ripe avocado, mashed
- 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1-2 kiwi or mango (optional, for garnish)
- 1. Put 2 cans of coconut milk in the refrigerator for approximately 1 hr. Once chilled, remove one can from the fridge, open, and spoon off cream from the coconut water. Discard coconut water or save for another use.
- 2. Add sugar, lime juice, and mashed avocado to the coconut cream and mix by hand or with an electric mixer until well-combined. Pour avocado filling into baked graham cracker crust and refrigerate 1 hour or until set.
- 3. Meanwhile, remove remaining can of coconut milk from the refrigerator and spoon off the cream from the coconut water. Again, discard coconut or save for another use. Using an electric mixer or whisk, beat coconut milk with confectioner's sugar until medium peaks form. Chill cream in the fridge until pie is set.
- 4. Once pie is set, remove from fridge. Mound coconut cream atop the center of the pie, and garnish with sliced mango or kiwi, if desired. Serve cold and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Avocados
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.