If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: What makes this simple hot dog recipe good is the combination of garnishes. This hot dog is called the Italiano in Chile for a reason: The colors of the garnish mimic the Italian flag. Avocado for green, Mayo for White and finally chopped tomatoes for the red.
Traditionally, Chileans love, i mean LOVE their mayo (Wikipedia has it at # 3 for per capita consumption but i doubt this counts home or restaurant made mayo prevalent in most sandwich joints) so feel free to scale back.
Here I replace guacamole for the original mashed avocado for some heat and complexity (think of your favorite freshly chopped capsicum, onions, some lime, cilantro and garlic).
- bobby bender
Makes 4 italianos
- 4 Hot Dogs
- 4 Buns
- 11/2 cup your favorite Guac recipe (i know you have one)
- 2-3 Medium Ripe Tomatoes
- 1 cup Home made mayo or Aioli
- Prep your Mayo or Aioli using immersion blender (use commercial Mayo if your in a pinch). I put one whole egg into a jar and add 1/2 - 2/3 of a cup of canola oil, 1 tsp dijon, 1 tsp of sherry or other vinegar and salt to taste. place immersion blender on bottom of jar and pulse a few times, slowly lift blender while running to emmulsify remaining oil, add a tbsp of water to thin out if desired. Important Note: you can always add more oil after but if you begin with too much oil it will break.
- Seed, finely chop and season tomatoes with salt and pepper.
- Boil or grill your hot dogs (I prefer natural casing dogs for that nice snap), warm buns in toaster oven and assemble by toping your dog with 2-3 tbsp of chopped tomato, on top of that and to contain it a really thick schmear of Guac and finally a tablespoon or 2 of homemade mayo to top it off. Hope you enjoy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Avocados
A Genius Dinner Party: Part 2
Of course, it involves no-knead pizza dough.
A genius dinner party: part 2
A list of things we like.
Home & design links we love.
Fact: Kids love pizza.
Mortar and pestle perfection.