Author Notes: I remember watching in horror as my grandpa sprinkled salt onto his slices of mellon. How dare he! Years later, I realized there was a reason to his madness... it's delicious! especially when combined with a little lime, spice and the smooth creamy flavors of avocado. If you are feeling artistic, feel free to take the time to make this salad into a little checkerboard presentation, otherwise a mellon-baller will give you beautiful results as well! Enjoy!
- Drum Beets
- 4 cups cubed watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe, or any melon variety
- 2 avocados
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pinch fresh cracked pepper
- 1 pinch aleppo chili flakes
- 1 handful cilantro, trimmed and washed
- notes: *you might want to play with the ratio of melon to avocado - i like a bite of avocado with every few melon bites, so i used 2 avocados. *unless you are like me and completely enjoy playing with your food for about an hour in an attempt to make perfect little 1-cubic inch slices of fruit... you can also use a mellon baller to make adorable bite-size mellon balls. or simply sprinkle large slices of melon with rinds intact on a plate and scoop out chunks of avocado with a spoon on top of the melon slices. all are beautiful presentations.
- cut your mellon in halves and scoop out the innards with a large spoon. if using a mellon baller, simply scoop out little rounds of a variety of mellon until you have 4 cups total. to make little cubes, cut the mellon halves into 1-inch wide strips, remove the skin, and then cut into 1-inch cubes. snack on your odds and ends if they don't make perfect little cubes! don't waste them!
- cut your avocados in half and remove the pits by hitting them with a sharp knife and twisting it out. again, you can use a mellon baller to shape your bite-size pieces of avocado. or, gently remove the peel and cut avocados into 1-inch cubes. again, don't waste your imperfect avocado chunks!
- to assemble, mix mellon balls together with remaining ingredients in a large serving bowl. or on a large square or rectangular platter, arrange your 1-inch cubes of fruit in a random checker-board pattern. drizzle with lime juice and sprinkle with remaining ingredients. season to taste with salt, pepper and chilies.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Avocados