Author Notes: Light, easy, interesting, and great for lunch the next day. Developed during an Outer Banks vacation when it was too hot to cook or chop too much.
Cilantro lovers might like to add a garnish, pepper lovers might like to add chopped jalapeno to the salad or a dash of Tabasco to the dressing. - avimom
- 1 orange, the juice of
- 1 lime, the juice of
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice (about what's in the bottom of the container of fresh pineapple in the produce section.)
- 1 tablespoon canola or grapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients and reserve in the fridge.
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 splashes low-sodium chicken broth, or water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 pineapple, diced
- 1 1/2 cup cooked black beans (drain and rinse if using canned)
- 1 head purple cabbage, shredded
- Poach the chicken breasts in the broth/water and 1 TB lime juice. Shred. Reserve in fridge.
- Toss mango, avocado, pepper, pineapple, and beans together to make a salad. Moisten with a light touch of dressing.
- To serve, plate salad on a small bed of shredded purple cabbage and top with mound of shredded chicken. Salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle with dressing.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Avocados