If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I know what you are thinking - oh for Heaven's Sake is she really making cornbread AGAIN? Yes. I am. I love cornbread, happen to have the stuff on hand (no shock there) as well as an extra avocado - a hunk of this and a salad and dinner is on the table! - aargersi
Food52 Review: WHO: Aargersi is a marketing database manager in Austin, Texas -- and a longtime Food52er!
WHAT: The spunkiest cornbread on the block.
HOW: Get your pan hot with some butter and cumin. Make your batter; fold in avocado and corn. Pour it all into the hot pan, and bake.
WHY WE LOVE IT: This is not your sweet, demure, cake-like cornbread. This is cornbread with real personality. The avocados retain their shape and creaminess; they're the perfect contrast to the pleasant heat and coarness of the cornbread itself. Turns out we love avocados in just about everything -- cornbread included. - The Editors
Serves one 9-inch round cornbread
- 1 cup stone ground cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more if you like spicy - I do!)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 ear corn cut from the cob (about 1 1/2 cup)
- 1 large ripe avocado in 1/2" cubes (about 1 1/2 cup)
- Juice from 1/2 lime (about 2 teaspoons)
- Heat the oven to 400. Put 2 tablespoons butter and 1 teaspoon cumin in a 9-inch iron skillet or a cake pan and stick it in the oven.
- Whisk the remaining dry ingredients together. Melt the remaining butter and honey together (honey measuring tip - give your measuring spoon a spritz of no-stick before pouring in the honey - it will slide right out). Mix the corn and avocado - squeeze the lime over and toss gently to coat. In a large bowl - whisk together the egg and buttermilk. Yes, you have now dirtied up 4 bowls. But you can wash them while the cornbread bakes.
- Slowly whisk the melted butter and honey into the buttermilk and egg. Next stir in the dry ingredients and then gently fold in the avocado and corn. Get the hot pan out of the oven and pour in the batter.
- Put the cornbread back in the oven and reduce the heat to 375. Bake 30-40 minutes until it is golden brown and a tester comes out clean (unless you hit avocado!)
- Allow to cool some before you serve.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Avocados
Make It a Party
All tacos, all the time.
All tacos, all the time.
Let Them Shine
DIY Herb Rub
Ultra Thin Chocolate Chip Cookies
Easygoing banana bread.