Author Notes: No one ever said avocado recipes had to be savory! This creamy, dreamy ice cream is so rich and decadent a few spoonfuls are all you need to be satisfied! The addition of warm spices adds another dimension to this dessert. - CherylDLee
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ripe Hass avocados
- 2 ounces freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ancho chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Over medium heat, scald the cream and milk. Be careful not to let it boil over.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl, whisk together the yolks, sugar, salt and vanilla until light and creamy. Add a small amount of hot cream to yolks, whisking quickly to temper the egg mixture. Gradually whisk in remaining cream. Place mixture over a water bath, whisking constantly, until mixture has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the water bath, placing the bowl immediately into an ice bath. Stirring occasionally, cool the mixture, then strain into another bowl. Cover and chill for at least one hour. This can be made up to two days ahead.
- While custard is cooling, scoop the flesh of the avocados into food processor or blender. Add the lemon juice, ancho chile powder and cinnamon. Process until very smooth, stopping to scrape down sides as needed. Place the avocado mixture in refrigerator to chill along with the custard.
- When ready to make the ice cream, stir the avocado and custard together, until well blended. Following the instructions for your ice cream maker, freeze the ice cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Avocados