If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Fennel and anise are the secret ingredients to elevate ground turkey to a rich, sausage-like flavor in this lasagna resulting in the same great taste but fewer calories than the store-bought version. - Ovensports
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 small carrots, grated
- 28 ounces can of crushed tomatoes
- 14.5 ounces can of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed anise
- 1/2 cup shredded, part-skim mozzarella
- 15 ounces fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 2-3 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 egg, beated
- 1 box no-boil-necessary lasagna noodles
- To make the sauce, warm olive oil in a nonstick saucepan to medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring often, for 20 minutes or until softened and slightly cooked down. Add garlic and carrot; saute for another 1-2 minutes. Add both cans of tomato, salt, pepper, basil, and Italian seasoning. Simmer for 1 hour.
- Heat a nonstick frying pan to medium heat. Add the turkey; sprinkle on the fennel and anise. Cook until the turkey is fully done (no longer pink). Turn the heat off and stir in one cup of sauce.
- In a large bowl, mix the ricotta, parmesan, egg, and parsley. Add salt & pepper to taste if desired.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Take a large lasagna pan. Spoon 3/4 cup of the tomato sauce onto the bottom of the pan. Next, put down one layer of noodles, followed by another 1/2 cup of sauce, evenly distributed. Add a layer of half the turkey, followed by half of the ricotta mixture. Then spoon over 1/2 cup of sauce; add another layer of noodles. Again, place down 1/2 cup of sauce followed by the rest of the turkey and the rest of the ricotta mixture. Finish with a layer of noodles and then the rest of the sauce. You may not use all of the noodles; this is ok!
- Sprinkle on the mozzarella cheese. Cover with foil; let the lasagna sit for 10 minutes. Bake for 45 minutes, then remove the foil. Increase the heat to 450 degrees and cook for another 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Let sit five minutes before cutting into it to serve.